28 October, 2010

Pursuit #51: Isn't it ironic?

A couple weeks ago, I was doing some reading in the magazine Psychology Today and I was a bit surprised at what I found. Consequently, yes, Alanis, it is ironic that according to psychological researchers people who seek happiness are less likely to actually achieve their goal of being happier. Well, shoot. There goes my "Happiness Project." Poof! Just like that.

But you know what? If there's anything I've learned from my 3 recent psychology classes, it's this: psychology is a science (as is the case with all branches of science) that is full of lots of theories (read: not necessarily true), correlations with less causation, and lots of generalization with exceptions. That doesn't mean there is no truth to the study they did. But it also doesn't mean that there is...See? Now I'm talking like a real psychologist:)

So I say, go on, seek happiness. I mean what's the alternative, really? Seeking unhappiness? That's just silly. It's all about the approach. Trying to be happy is not like trying to learn how to master something. It's simply about surrounding yourself and filling your life with the things that make you happy: friends, family, riding your bike, watching TV, collecting stamps, metal detecting on the beach, chasing tornadoes, making your own cheese...ya know, whatever floats yer boat.

No comments: