21 September, 2014

Pretirement: Not as Great as Retirement

I can't take credit for coining the term "pretirement" (I heard it from a friend of a friend around 30 years old who quit her job and was trying to decide what to do next).

Well I've had a taste of pretirement these last few weeks somewhat unintentionally (due to some last minute changes with my school placements and having to wait in limbo for things to work themselves out). And although I've never been fully retired, I think I can safely say that pretirement is not as great as retirement. It could be perhaps (read: if you have MONEY).

It's definitely nice to have some newfound free time to read, do lots of self-reflection (yay?), go for long runs, and have time to do anything you want, even those pesky little projects you want to do but you never have time to do when you're working all the time, like organize your sock drawer.*

Instead you want to go do fun things...things outside the house because you're getting cabin fever...things with friends, but oh, wait - they're all working during the day...things that require MONEY, which you don't really have (whilst coaxing yourself that going to grad school was a good idea)... le sigh.

So here's a list of things I've done in my pretirement. Stay in school, kids. 

1. Watched a free movie at the National Gallery of Art (I packed my own lunch and snacks so I wouldn't have to eat out, uh which I actually do most of the time when I go out and about now...) where they gave us free keychains woot! Also walked through the free botanical garden in DC.

2. Watched a movie by myself during the day (using a Groupon for a ticket discount).

3. Went to a winery by myself, read in a adirondack chair on their lawn, sipping on a glass of chardonnay. Earlier the guy giving the tasting asked as I approached the bar, "Just you??" To which I replied, "Uh, yep." Glad he didn't make it awkward or anything...Then two ladies came and joined me. In your face wine man!

4. Went on a lot of long runs...while listening to an audiobook. Multitasking.

5. Read two self-help books from the library about making sure you can do all the things you love to do in life (ironic).

6. Found $2! (it's the little things that count...)

7. Treated myself to a couple pupusas one night from a popular pupuseria. I ordered in Spanish, nbd. Presented my credit card, only to find out I needed a $10 minimum to use a card...and I only had $2 in cash (see above). So I walked out with 5 pupusas instead of 2...Voy a ser gordita!!

8. Watched a lot of Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy. It's "educational."

9. Finally organized those annoying stacks of paper that were collecting in my room. Blah.

10. For some much needed laughs, reread parts of my journal from college.

11. Gleaned some empowerment from reading a book about women who have done some amazing solo travels around the globe.

12. So I don't sound totally lonely and despondent, I actually did hang out with friends too - lunch dates, Nats game, movies, some house parties/potlucks, day trip to Philly, lots of phone chats, and spent almost a whole week in NYC with a friend who was in town from Singapore.

13. Restarted this blog! Yay for boredom!

While the student ID can garner some decent discounts, it's not always an option for many establishments. I'm thinking maybe there should be an equivalent to an AARP card for the pretired folks...AAPP?? 

My pretirement is coming to an end after this week. I have to say though that I'm a little sad. I feel like I really need to live it up this last week...maybe I'll do some gardening and try out some new recipes;)

*Newsflash: when you actually have time to organize your sock drawer, you don't actually want to organize your sock drawer. 

No comments: